I was going through the aisles of my local box crafting store when I stumbled upon this paper witches hat. I knew I wanted to alter it, but it took me a few weeks to figure out what to do.
I am in LOVE, LOVE, LOVE with the Mocha Morning Specialty DSP. I knew I wanted to cover this hat with it, but...
I only had one piece of the black, flocked DSP left. ARGHHHHHH!
WHAT to do???!??!??!!?!?!? The ONLY thing that bothers me about Stampin' Up! is that because it's a mail-order company, you have to wait a week for your supplies to arrive. And with the start of my new teaching blog, and everything else going on in my life, I have been toooo busy to think about getting more paper. And now here we are, only a few days before the big day. SO, what to do.....???? Well I cleverly decided to get out my Basic Black ink pad and a sponge, and sponge over the Crumb Cake flocked pattern of this DSP. Let me tell you that it took a loooooonnnngggg time. BUT, I am really pleased with the final result. Check out all my photos, and you can see the different flocking patterns around the hat. The whispy floral image was sponged in, and the "fleur de lis" flourish, was always black.
Well, then I knew I needed ribbon to hide the joints between the paper, and I really wanted to make something interesting for the hat band, and the floral rosette.
The rosette was made by cutting the DSP to 1 1/2 inches and then scored at 1/4 inch all the way along (with the Simply Scored) and then folded like an accordian. After I creased all the folds, I added the strip of Basic Black Satin ribbon, along the back with Sticky Strip. Then I creased it all again so that the black ribbon added a nice edge to the rosette. Finally I used the 2 3/8" scallop circle punch and the Fancy Flower punch to punch out a few shapes. I then scrunched, and scrunched the paper, and then spritzed it with water. Finally I separated the paper into 2 strips. This gives it the faux suede look. Eventually I scrunched these 'faux suede' pieces into a shape I like, and let them dry. I popped an antique brad in the middle, and voila! a cute little rosette.
The hat band was a bit more difficult. I think I'm going to save that tutorial for another day. I have a project coming up with Craft Project Central in November, and I think I'll included a tutorial about the hat band in that project. Currently this hat is sitting amongst all my Halloween goodies in my little Halloween Vignette. I truly hope you all have a fabulous Halloween - especially those of you who have the magic of children to excite your day!