Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Tuesday Tutorial #11

I just couldn't wait to get down and use this paper when my box of new stuff arrived last month. This layout was inpired by a photo of me and my daughter on my brother's boat. We were having a family picnic to celebrate our birthdays which are only 12 days apart. I went through the photos from that day and pulled out a few of my brother and I. After playing around with the pictures, I decided that although I love the photo of myself and my daughter, I needed to crop her out of this layout. I'll save the entire photo for another layout. This is a new Level 3 hostess scrapbook set. I pulled out two pieces of DSP from the Lovely Flowers Hostess Bundle, and One piece of Rich Razzleberry cardstock.

I then played around with my central photo and decided to matte the photos on Rich Razzleberry as it offered the best colour contrast. Because of this, I decided that the Rich Razzleberry DSP was best for the background.

After playing around a bit, I decided on the above layout to start. This changed as I moved around the background paper.


After some experimentation, I decided to use these three piece of DSP from Lovely Flowers and print out my journaling right on to the DSP itself. But the DSP needed to be small enough to fit in my printer, so I cropped it to 8 inches. After I printed out the journalling, I decided to trim the overlapping edges with the scallop edge punch. And finally I adhered the three pieces of DSP together. A great tip is that if you are putting together paper to make a background for a 12x12 page, the scor pal works wonders. By lining it up in the actual scor pal, the edges will be all straight and the paper will line up perfectly.


Because I needed to crop the smaller picture of my brother and I carefully to cut out distracting images, I decided to use my largest circle punch (2 3/8inch) but a coluzzle or circle scissor plus would work as well. The only problem for me was that when I punched out the circle, part of the image got damaged near the edge. To fix the problem, I decided to sand the edges of the picture which was simple enough to do with the smaller circle images. I then needed to sand the larger photos, and found it to be very difficult until I lined the page edge up with the edge of the table which gave me some even resistance and made for a nice edge. Finally I added to the layout a picture of my brother and me as children, and a picture of our birthday cake from last month. To make the '40' out of DSP I started with the 1 3/8 inch circle punch and then used the 1 1/4 inch punch to make the '0' Next I cut the '4' by hand to match the size of the '0'
Once I did my journaling, the title fell into place quite nicely. The white letters are cut with the Bilboard die for the big shot. The coloured flowers are cut from the DSP on the end. I used the wide oval punch for the sub-title and large oval scallop nesties. Some of the photos and the number '40' are popped up with dimensionals.

2 comments:

anewinkonlife.com said...

What a great page and clever title! Oh an congrats on your big news that is so awesome! Glad to see your talent being reconized.

Kari said...

What an awesome layout! LOVE IT!