Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Stampin Royalty Challenge #68

This week we have a technique challenge for you at Stampin' Royalty. 
LET'S GET WET!!!!!! - pull out your watercolours and let's see what you've got!!!
I tried a few new techniques for me with this card.  I don't ususally fill the image with colour as I did with this image.  Now the secret to success with this card is the paper.  You need to use watercolouring paper to be able to manipulate the ink for full coverage  Secondly the grass was a variation on a technique I saw somewhere recently.  But more on that later.
So, I stamped the egg image on watercolour paper with Staz-On ink.   The water can bleed the ink on the image unless you let it dry thoroughly.  I'm pretty impatient once I start a card, so using Staz-On means I keep a crisp clean image.  Next I pulled out my Stampin' Write Markers.  I coloured in half of each egg and then 'pulled' the ink over the rest of the image.  The sky was a bit more difficult.  They key to watercolouring smoothly is to keep a wet edge.  I used a Tempting Turquoise Stampin' Write Marker to colour the top cm of paper.  Then I used an aquapainter to get all the ink wet.  Next I painted down the paper.  Going around the eggs quickly was a bit tricky, so I needed to go back over it several times to smooth it out. 
The grass is three strips of frayed ribbon.  The middle ribbon is Pear Pizzazz Seam Binding Ribbon, and the top and bottom ribbon is Old Olive Satin Ribbon.  I trimmed the top two layers to give them wavy edges so that the 3 layers really pop.
The Fun Stuff:
Paper - Watercolour Paper, Basic Black, Whisper White, Confetti White
Ink - Tempting Turquoise, Daffodil Delight, Melon Mambo, Rich Razzleberry, Tangerine Tango
Stamps - Easter Blossoms, Nature Walk
Accessories - Key Tag punch (retired), Decorative Label punch, Daffodil Delight, Pear Pizzazz, Old Olive Ribbon

2 comments:

Anne Marie Hile said...

Sandra, this is so cool! I love how you put the card together. Thank you for sharing the watercoloring tips too. I have never tried that technique with the markers and the aquapainter. I'm eager to give it a try. Have a great day! :-)

Hands On said...

I just love this bright card Sandra. Your eggs are just darling!