Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Tuesday Tutorial #8

Welcome to Tuesday Tutorial. Today's tutorial will focus on one photo layouts. I had this gorgeous photo of my kids which was just screaming for a scrapbook page.
STEP 1 LAYOUT:
I looked through my scrap maps and came up with this one from http://www.pagemaps.com/
I apologize that it's a bit blurry. One of the things that drew me to this page was it's use of stitching. I have never used the sewing machine on paper before and I decided that this was a great place to start. Another thing I have learned about my scrapbooking habits is that I really need to figure out my colours and then play around with the layout to find a combination that works for me.
STEP 2 - COLOUR:
I find that I am immediately drawn to some colour combinations. This page was really difficult for me. I tried to draw colours out of the photo, but when I played around with them and the picture, I didn't like any of them with the photo itself. Eventually I came up with Chocolate Chip and Sage Shadow and white.
This is an example of the first paper I sewed. I decided to adhere the paper on the cardstock first and then run it through the machine. (much like pinning 2 fabrics together before sewing. I used the zig zag stitch and I used the widest stich so that you can really see that it's sewing. Here's a closeup.
It was kinda fun. I learned that you really need to go slow and steady. Too fast and it's hard to keep the line straight. I also learned that adhering the paper together made it really easy to sew a straight line. I feel that you really need to choose your thread carefully and I really like how this white thread is contrasted on the chocolate chip. I laid the photo out on the sage shadow cardstock and used some retired DSP and some Chocolate Chip DSP for accent paper. Then I attached the layers and sewed on them as I went. It was easier for me to sew each layer and then adhere the next. The title 'LOVE', and the oval sentiment 'you're the BEST' are rub ons. I added glitter with my 2 way glue stick which made the title really POP. Oh yeah, and the Journaling was added by putting the cardstock straight in the printer - super easy. And finally I glued on the buttons with Tombow.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

great ideas... great work..thanks for sharing.

___________________
Rozydesouza
Entertainment at one stop