Friday, March 25, 2011

Moving???

This page was whipped up using My Digital Studio and the newest 2011 Notable Desktop Calendar kit.  I just LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the paper in this kit.    I added a few embellishments and let the photos take centre stage.
So February was a CRAZY month for us in the Farrell household.  I have been wanting a bigger house for over a year now.  Brad was a little resistant because he's not big on moving, and he's put a lot of work into our home.  In fact, of the 3 places we have lived together, Brad and I renovated and 'flipped' the last two, so he was reluctant to do that yet another time.  I, on the other hand, am a bit of a wanderer.  I think I have moved 19 times in my life.  Only one move with my parents, when I was 4 years old, into the house they still live now.  And the rest of the moves were in my 20's.  Basically I moved every 6 months or so.  So I understand Brad's fear of my wanderlust.  Moving is a scary thing in Vancouver.  We have the highest real estate prices in the country. 
Anyway, I FINALLY convinced Brad to move.  We found a house that we LOVE, and it's in the school catchment area that we want, and it's only 5 blocks away from where we are now, so we don't have to leave our neighbourhood.  It's also on a short, flat, cul-de-sac, with a park and playground at the end.  The house is much bigger than our current one, and is better for so many reasons that I can't list them all here.  But the real kicker, the one that pushed Brad over the edge, is that the house does NOT need any work.  Nope, no paint, or anything.  Every other move we've done has been into a real dump that needed a lot of work.  It was always about what this new house could be.  This house we have just bought is all about what it is now.  The only room that needs work is my new craft room.  And I'm so excited to mold it into my dream room that I can't explain it all here.
So back to the page above...
We bought the new house without having sold our current house.  We then needed to clean up our house, tear down a shed from the backyard, and list and sell our house - FAST.  Part of the process was to get our house ready for an Open House and to have professional photos taken to post on the web on our realtor's website.  So we rented one of those portable containers and they put it on our driveway and we filled it with all the crap that we have, but dont' need.  We posted the shed on Craigslist for free and some guys came and tore it down in 3 days.  Then our realtor had the photographer in and - voila - we got the photos above. 
Our house has never looked so good.  It's nothing special from the outside, but those hardwood floors, and that new kitchen that Brad put in, really helped.  In fact, we listed the house, had a few opens, and sold it in 8 days - for more than we asked for it. - WHEW!
So now we wait until the end of April to move into our new house.  One of these days I'm going to put together a series of pages to show all the homes we have had and all the work that Brad, my Dad, and Brad's brother have done (oh yeah, and I cut a mean tile on the wet saw too) and show everone what we have accomplished.  If you have made it to the end of this, thanks for listening.  Hope you enjoyed my page.

1 comment:

Heather Johnston said...

That's so exciting! Where's the new house? I hope you have an easy move and wonderful times at the new house.