Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Copying a Great Artist

************Please scroll down if you haven't visited for a few days as I've put up 3 posts in the past day or so.**********
In my life I have taken a few art courses, but the one that had the largest impact on me was an Art Education class at the Vancouver Art Gallery. The Exhibit was of Frida Khalo, Georgia O'Keefe, and our own local great, Emily Carr. One of our exercises that we had to do each day was to go into the gallery and sketch one of their works. I found that what this did was make me concentrate very closely on the work of the artist, and that I focused very closely on every tiny detail in the work. I learned A LOT!! With that said, I have decided that I am going to work on my own artistry and do that by copying the works of great papercraft artists. Below you will find my copies of the work of Jenn Dierks. I have been following Jenn's blog for quite a while now, and I love it! Jenn has graciously agreed to let me post her original card which you will find at the bottom of this post.I love checking out Jenn Dierks' blog. She is a very talented artist and she was a top 30 finalist in this year's Artisan Award challenge She is also a member of the prestigious Tour De Freaks, along with some other Stampin' Guru's like Patty Bennet and Jan Tinks. I found this card on her blog and I decided to copy it (not case it).
I have altered this card slightly. I did not have the silver cording to use on the ornaments. I added an extra silver brad and a stamp on the inside of the card. I also made 2 versions of this card by moving the ornaments around.
Supplies: Stamps: Delightful Decorations, Baroque Motifs, Ink: Tempting Turquoise, Soft Suede. Paper: Tempting Turquoise, Soft Suede, Very Vanilla, Holiday Lounge DSP. Accessories: Very Vanilla Grosgrain Ribbon, Ornament punch, Silver Brads, Linen Thread, Textured Impressions Die - Finial Press, Eyelet Border Punch, Corner Rounder Punch.

3 comments:

Jenn D said...

Thanks so much for the wonderful comments. Your cards are beautiful and I love the addition of the brads to the ornaments.

Sabriena Satchwell said...

WOW, both of these cards are amazing!

Bhane said...

OMG! They are gorgeous! How love how you did it! you really are an artist!