Thursday, August 18, 2011

Box Pleat Tutorial:

 This tutorial is based on one developed by Susan Stringfellow.

To make these pleats I scored each strip by one and then by 3. What I mean by this is that I scored some papers at ¼ “ and after another ¾” and then after another ¼ “ and after another ¾” and so on…

For this paper I imagined that one red and one white strip made a whole unit. Then I scored half way through the first stripe and then at the end of the next stripe and then half way through that stripe and at the end of the next stripe and so on…

For this paper I used the scallop trim border punch along the edge first. Then I scored after one scallop and next after 3 more scallops, and then after one scallop, and then after 3 more and so on…


Here's some more views...

When I was done scoring, I folded each paper along the score lines, just like in the photos above. I ran a strip of sticky tape along the back of each pleated paper in order to secure them. You can stitch along them with a sewing machine for a different look.

2 comments:

Karen said...

Great tutorial - I tried to make some of these the other day and they came out all wrong. I am heading to the craft room right now to do it your way!!! Thank you!

Bandon, Oregon said...

Thank You so much for showing this!! Got to try it out now... couldn't of done it without your help....

Faith