Friday, August 26, 2011

Button Buddies for Babies



I was so excited to receive my new stamp set - Button Buddies.  It was on backorder, and I was desperately impatient, as it was the first set I really wanted when I saw the new catty back in June.
Anyway, once I sat down with it, my mojo completely disappeared.  Have you ever had times like that?  I was on the phone today with my fellow Artisan Award winner, Jenn Picard, and we were lamenting about when we have a dry spot of creativity.  And after searching through Splitcoast, and Stampin' Connection, and all my other sources of creativity, I remembered the name of this sweet Australian Demo that I met, briefly at Convention this year, Teneale Williams.  This woman came all the way to the USA with her Mum, (that's how they spell it down under).  They came for something like 4 days - CRAZY.  I know they had a blast.  I actually had a great conversation with her Mum.  They are both very sweet.  So, after starting to check out her blog - click here - I decided to copy one of her cards.  Well...maybe I tweaked it to suit my style a bit.  Teneale's style is one that I would love to learn.  I really don't think I have a signature style and I would love to develop one.  I ususally just get inspired by things that attract me, but I can't narrow it down to a signature style.  Anyway after a lot of time spent looking through Teneale's blog, I decided to case this card here.  I have a friend who is due in a few weeks, and they don't know the sex of the baby, so this card will be perfect.  Something that Teneale always does, is finish the insides of her cards, so I was inspired to try my best at copying that as well.
For this card, I used tons, and tons, and tons of layers.  I think I used half a pack of Stampin' Dimensionals - (kidding)  I sometimes find that if you carefully try to copy the work of a great artist, you learn a lot of fabulous techniques.  Once I started looking very closely at Teneale's cards, I realized how she really loves to layer cardstock.  She always sponges the edges of the top layer, and then matte's it on a sheet of the same cardstock, with just a tiny border so that It really defines the edges.  On this card, I also did my first crinkle ribbon.  My buddy Jenn Picard explained it to me and it's super easy.  You use seam binding ribbon, and you tie your bow (I made a double bow here).  Then you spray it with water from a spritzer, and then you squish it up into a ball, and let it dry.  Voila - crinkle ribbon.  Super easy.
The Fun Stuff:

1. Stamps - Button Buddies, BFF
2. Ink – Baja Breeze, Pear Pizzazz, Regal Rose, Crumb Cake
3. Paper – Paisley Prints DSP, Baja Breeze, Pear Pizzazz, Very Vanilla card stock
4. Accessories – Very Vanilla Seam Binding Ribbon, Scallop Edge Border Punch, Pearls Basic Jewels,

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

LOVE the way it turned out! Can you please send me some of your mojo?! Really, really love the crinkled ribbon:)